Homemade Chicken Pot Pie (Comfort Food!)
Listen. There is nothing wrong with Marie Callender’s frozen chicken pot pies. They’re quite delicious. But there is something even more comforting about a homemade chicken pot pie. I love gathering recipes, and this is one that deserved a handwritten recipe card. Something to pass down. It’s really easy, I promise.
- 3-4 cooked and chopped chicken breasts (about 4+ cups )
- 2 pie crusts and deep dish pie pan
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 rounded tbsp sugar
- 2-3 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp of Better than Bouillon Roasted Chicken base
- 16 oz frozen mixed vegetables
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat over to 350 degrees
- Pre-bake bottom pie crust for 15 minutes
- While pie crust is baking, melt butter in medium sauce pan
- Add flour and sugar until mixture starts to thicken.
- Add 2 cups chicken broth and stir constantly until mixture gets to gravy consistency. Salt and pepper to taste
- Add chicken and frozen vegetables
- Add more broth (about another cup) until the filling is creamy.
- Pour into bottom pie crust and top with other crust. Use a knife to vent top crust.
- Bake for 45 minutes, remove and let it set for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
If you have extra filling, pour it into a small pie tin and top with biscuits or Bisquick biscuit mix and bake at 450 for 10 minutes.